Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Power of CSS

Web designing has come a long way. When I designed and published my first website, which is now probably owned by some scammer, web design software and markup coding were still in their infancy. So the safest way to go was by basic Html coding, and therefore, that I got used to this method.
A few years later CSS (cascading style sheets) came along, however, there were many compatibility issues across web browsers that I stayed away from it. Well, that was then, today I just finished working on a small website, http://annunziato.org/student12/ for course, “Exploring the Internet.” I was skeptical about using CSS at first, given my previous experience (or in experience), but I was quickly drawn to its sophistication in handling Html’s mark-up and repetitive tagging particularly in font styling and table layouts.
Although I have been late to the party on this one, given that I lost interest in web design altogether, I can still recall the pains of having to code every tag; for every different font style; for every table style; for every image used.  Multiply that by the number of web pages required for the website, and you get the picture. And when a client thought that they now needed something with more pizzazz, you basically had to do it all over. Fortunately, with CSS in my tool kit, I can look them in the eye and proclaim, “Certainly! Just give me a few minutes and I’ll get us something we can both work with.”  Yes. For the hand coding bunch, web designing has come a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment